Most awarded SUV ever delivers even more legendary 4×4 capability, premium on-road refinement and craftsmanship, and comfort, the most safety and advanced technology features in its class – now in three-row form for the first time
- Rooted in a legacy of Jeep® 4×4 capability, luxury and advanced technologies, and loaded with Grand Cherokee and FCA firsts, the all-new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee—now with seven-passenger seating—delivers an exceptional customer experience
- Three Jeep 4×4 systems and class-leading Selec-Terrain traction management system with five terrain modes continue and improve upon the tradition of legendary off-road capability, including more off-road ground clearance and water fording capability compared with previous generations
- All-new vehicle architecture, independent front and rear suspensions and class-exclusive Quadra-Lift air suspension with electronic adaptive damping deliver class-leading capability and premium on-road driving dynamics
- Authentic exterior design and world-class craftsmanship convey a refined, new body style with signature Jeep design cues, including Jeep’s signature seven-slot grille, aggressive front approach angle and trapezoidal wheel arches
- Premium, spacious interior features standard 10-inch display screens across the instrument panel, including a frameless digital gauge cluster and touchscreen radio, all-new LED lighting with ambient features, driver and front passenger seat massage and personalized climate zones
- Hand-wrapped, quilted Palermo leather, open-pore Waxed Walnut wood, 21-inch wheels and standard premium amenities elevate new Summit Reserve Package to highest levels of luxury
- Equipped with more than 110 advanced safety and security features, including L2 driver-assist systems with hands-on automated driving, along with 360-degree surround view and night vision cameras; advanced hands-free L2 automated driving system will be available in late 2021 on the 2022 Grand Cherokee L
- Next-generation technologies, including the most advanced Uconnect system ever with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, windshield Head-up Display (HUD), digital rearview mirror, frameless digital cluster, rear seat monitoring camera and an exclusive and premium 960-watt, 19-speaker McIntosh audio sound system
- Jeep Grand Cherokee L arrives in the Jeep Middle East dealerships the third quarter of 2021.
January 7, 2021, Auburn Hills, Mich. – Nearly 30 years ago, the Jeep® Grand Cherokee began its legacy as the most awarded SUV in history. Today, following four groundbreaking generations of the vehicle, countless industry accolades and nearly 7 million in global sales, the Jeep brand continues to shatter expectations of the full-size SUV segment with the all-new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L.
The newest iteration is designed and engineered to deliver an unmatched combination of even more legendary 4×4 capability, superior on-road refinement, premium styling and craftsmanship inside and out, and a host of advanced safety and technology features. The result is the all-new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L, for the first time ever with seating for seven.
“When you set out to reimagine an SUV as beloved as the Jeep Grand Cherokee, building on its nearly 30-year legacy as an overachiever is paramount to every decision that is made,” said Christian Meunier, Global President of Jeep Brand – FCA. “With that legacy guiding the Jeep team, the new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee is crafted to exceed expectations and do what no other SUV can do: deliver legendary Jeep 4×4 off-road capability blended with superior on-road manners. It is built on an all-new architecture and wrapped in a stunning new design that honors its iconic Jeep design heritage, while also extending to accommodate a third row to meet the growing needs of our Jeep customers who have asked for more space and functionality. The Grand Cherokee L truly stands out in its segment and continues to raise the bar in capability, performance and luxury, while also breaking new ground in versatility and functionality.”
The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L delivers improved unrivaled capability along with composed on-road driving dynamics. Legendary off-road capability begins courtesy of three 4×4 systems – Quadra-Trac I, Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II with rear electronic limited slip-differential (eLSD). All three systems are equipped with an active transfer case to improve traction by moving torque to work with the wheel with the most grip.
The 2021 Grand Cherokee L’s class-leading Selec-Terrain traction management system lets customers choose the on- and off-road setting for optimum 4×4 performance. This feature electronically coordinates up to six different powertrains, 4×4 torque split, braking and handling, steering and suspension systems, including throttle control, transmission shift, transfer case and traction control, stability control, anti-lock braking system (ABS) and steering feel.
The Selec-Terrain system offers five available terrain modes (Auto, Sport, Rock, Snow, Mud/Sand) to provide optimized calibrations for any given driving scenario.
All-new architecture delivers world-class driving dynamics and durability
The all-new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L receives a multitude of improvements to optimize ride, handling and quiet sound, while also reducing weight and improving fuel economy. A new unibody design along with three available 4×4 systems (Quadra-Trac I, Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II), an available Quadra-Lift air suspension and standard Selec-Terrain traction management system improve on Grand Cherokee’s legendary 4×4 capability.
The all-new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L offers buyers a choice of two powerful, fuel-efficient and refined engines with proven performance for any driving situation.
Standard is the all-aluminum 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine, rated at 290 horsepower and 257 lb.-ft (348 Nm). of torque. Lauded for its power and refinement, the 60-degree angle between the Pentastar V-6’s cylinder banks make it inherently smooth running, augmented by accessories that bolt directly to the engine block. A seven-time winner of the Wards 10 Best Engines and Propulsion Systems award, the Pentastar V-6 engine is compact, with features such as exhaust manifolds integrated into the cylinder heads.
Chain-driven dual overhead camshafts include two-step variable valve lift and variable-valve timing (VVT). This combination quickly tailors engine output to the demands of the driver for the best balance of performance and fuel economy.
Fuel-saving engine start-stop (ESS) technology is standard on the Pentastar V-6. The ESS system has been upgraded and refined for the Grand Cherokee L. Changes include a pressure reserve element in the eight-speed transmission, which provides dedicated transmission fluid to the shift elements at engine restart for a quick launch. Refined powertrain controls and new starter technology minimize early engine restarts from minor movements of the driver’s foot on the brake pedal. Restart noise, vibration and harshness have been reduced via revised controls and switchable engine mounts.
The 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine is rated for a towing capacity of up to 6,200 pounds (2,812 Kg) and an estimated class-leading driving range of nearly 500 miles (8,047 Km).
VVT with dual-independent cam phasing enables better fuel efficiency across a wide torque band in the Pentastar V-6. Nearly 90 percent of the engine’s peak torque is available from 1,800 to 6,400 rpm – an important consideration when towing or hauling.
Buyers who want more power can opt for the award-winning 5.7-liter V-8, rated at 357 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft (529 Nm) of torque delivered over a broad power band.
The V-8, with a foundation of a cast-iron block and aluminum cylinder heads, delivers performance and efficiency with VVT and Fuel Saver Technology (cylinder deactivation). With Fuel Saver Technology, the engine control computer turns off fuel and spark and closes the valves to four of the engine’s cylinders during light-load operation, such as highway cruising, when full power is not needed. The system immediately re-engages the deactivated cylinders when the driver presses on the accelerator pedal.
The 5.7-liter V-8 has a class-leading towing capacity of up to 7,200 pounds (3,266 Kg).
The Grand Cherokee L’s V-8 engine uses cylinder shut-off technology that deactivates four cylinders during light acceleration or cruising situations on the highway. The system is active in an expanded region with respect to the previous generations and is unnoticeable to the driver. It provides V-8 power for acceleration and heavy loads and four-cylinder operation when the torque requirement is less than the maximum available from four cylinders. Depending on the driving scenario, cylinder shutoff can increase fuel economy from 5 to 20 percent.