For the 8th year in a row, Build It Green – Lebanon Annual Sustainability Solutions Conference gathered this March again more than 600 professionals from the real estate, construction, academic, banking, and NGOs sectors, who networked to explore innovative practices in sustainable construction and healthy environment fields, and engage in expert-led debates to brainstorm solutions for healthier cities.
Organized by e-EcoSolutions, in partnership with EcoConsulting, the 8th Build It Green – Lebanon Annual Sustainability Solutions Conference was held on Wednesday March 22nd, 2017 at the Monroe Hotel in Beirut, under the new theme “Our Cities, Our Health”.
“As innovative as always,” said Mr. Gilbert Tegho the CEO of e-EcoSolutions “the Build It Green – Lebanon conference took on a new format this year and delivered to its audience innovative sustainability topics and solutions, hopefully helping each participant to grow their knowledge in their own fields of interest, and contributing to the discussions. The conference opened the door again to opportunities for fruitful collaborations with like-minded people and organizations.”
The main highlights of the conference were the following:
1) A PPP Panel “Reducing Air Pollution is a Collaborative Responsibility” was held with the objective of developing long-term Public Private Partnerships to support practical initiatives aiming at reducing Air Pollution in our cities.
The panel showcased initiatives undertaken by both the public sector on one hand, and Institutions, NGOs, & Private Sector on the other hand, and has received the participation of the Ministry of Environment, the Directorate General of Urban Planning, the Order of Engineers & Architects, the Municipality of Beirut, and the Lebanese Center for Energy Conservation.
This is in addition to professors and technical experts from USJ, AUB Nature Conservation Center, Green Party – Green Mind, Cycling Circle, Compost Baladi, and Abousleiman & Partners Law Firm. The session was moderated by Prof. Simon Moussalli, and has addressed the formation of a promising working committee on reducing air pollution in the cities of Lebanon.
2) 23 Workshops with Green Building, Sustainability, & Health Experts (the 23 cutting-edge topics were grouped under 3 main categories: Solutions for Healthier Cities, Designing Sustainable Projects, and Innovative or Hot topics). The delegates who attended those workshops participated in learning, brainstorming, reviewing, and suggesting concrete sustainability solutions with the topics experts. All the results will be posted on the conference Website www.BIGLeb.com .
- 3) The Launch of the 3rd Eco-Quartier University Students Competition, organized by Build It Green – Lebanon with the support of the Lebanon Green Building Council, targeting senior year architecture and urban planning students from all universities in Lebanon. After collaborating with the Municipality of Beirut in Edition 2, the collaboration with the Municipality of Rasmaska in the North of Lebanon was announced for Edition 3, in which the “Rasmaska Eco-District” site was selected as the main competition subject, and presented by Rasmaska City Mayor Mr. Simon A. Nakhoul during the conference. February 2018 was set as a final deadline for students to submit their projects, of which one or more will be considered for actual implementation by the Municipality of Rasmaska!
- 4) A “Towards Healthier and Greener Schools” Panel was also organized to present current initiatives from nineteen (19) NGOs and Institutions promoting more sustainable and healthier schools in Lebanon and to generate an interactive discussion around the topic. The panel showcased the activities in what could be called “solutions bazar” for the schools to choose from and adopt. The panel hosted the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, the UNDP, the Center for Educational Research and Development (CERD) at the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, the UNESCO, the UNGCL, Nestlé Waters, Fransabank, Tinol Paints, My Carbon Footprint Microsite by Bank Audi, Earth Technologies, the Green Schools Certification Program, Arcenciel, the Association for Forests Development & Conservation (AFDC), the Lebanon Green Building Council (LGBC), the Lebanese Solar Energy Society (LSES), the Lebanon Mountain Trail Association (LMTA), Recycle Lebanon, and Beeatouna.
- 5) Green Schools Certification Program distribution of Certificates to schools that reached new certification levels or upgraded their existing levels. The Green Schools Certification Program is an up and running program launched under the patronage of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education and with the support of the Ministry of Environment, with a mission to “Put every student in Lebanon in a Green School within this generation”. To date, the program counts more than 132 participating public and private schools.
More info on www.GreenSchools.me .
- 6) A Hands-on Workshop on School Eco-Gardening in an Urban Environment given by the SOILS permaculture association, addressed to schools and interested delegates who actually got the chance to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty in Eco-Gardening!
- 7) The Green Building exhibition, the yearly speed networking platform that comes along the Build It Green – Lebanon, awaited by many professionals in the field.
The conference organizers also thanked the conference’s Platinum Sponsor Waterfront City Dbayeh (for the fifth consecutive year), Gold Sponsors: Tinol Paints (for the fifth year) and Natgaz, Silver Sponsor: Sodamco-Weber (for the fourth year), Exhibitor: A.R. Hourie Entreprises, Media Partners: LBCI, Ekaruna, Executive, Beiruting, World Environment and Lebtivity, GreenArea.me and all the conference supporters.