‘Each and every one of us can make a green choice’
–Kazuyoshi Yamamoto, President, Epson Europe
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – 14 December 2020 — Epson has published its ‘Green Choice’ sustainability report. The 48-page non-financial report provides comprehensive details of the sustainability and CSR measures actioned by Epson across its entire EMEA operations. During 2020 Epson has made significant progress in aligning its business activities to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a commitment it made following the 2016 Paris Accord and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Significant highlights of the report include:
- Epson has achieved an EcoVadis Platinum rating for sustainability, which means that the company meets the highest standards for human rights, labour conditions, environment, ethics and sustainable procurement. This achievement places Epson in the top 1% of companies in its industry.
- Green House Gas emissions per employee reduced by 8.56%.
- Scope 1 and 2 emissions have reduced by 18%(equivalent to 485,753 tonnes of CO2).
- Epsonrecycled 23,700 tonnes of material including batteries, paper, wood, plastic and waste electrical equipment.
- Epson is now using 100% renewable energy in all its owned buildings.
- Epson has saved a potential 1.1 million tonnes of plastic-based consumables through the sale of over 50 million cartridge-free EcoTank printers.
- Epson engaged with over 11,000 students of all ages as part of its ‘New Horizons’ programme, introducing young people to sustainable technology and inspiring them to achieve their career goals.
- Epson signed up as technology partner to the United Nation’s Smart Sustainable Cities implementation programme, aimed at utilising technology to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in cities around the world.
Kazuyoshi Yamamoto, President of Epson Europe, added: “Epson’s Green Choice report provides our customers with the assurance that we are taking all available measures to achieve sustainability across our entire European operations.
“Sustainability is in our DNA, it runs through everything we do. It is about constantly addressing and improving every aspect of our global footprint, from our manufacturing and distribution to use of resources and behaviours of our people.
“Working with our customers is my passion, understanding their needs and listening to what they say is essential as we continually work to improve what we offer. The Green Choice report is about providing our customers with the guarantee that Epson is completely serious about sustainability and the future of our planet.
“Each and every one of us can make a green choice. Together, as we face the challenges in this ‘new normal’, we must all work even harder to make the right choices and create a more sustainable future for our people and planet.”
Henning Ohlsson, CSR and Sustainability Director, Epson Europe, added: “Our Green Choice report is about making the right choice for our future. The demand for greener products and services has never been stronger, and this is especially true of the younger generations that are looking ahead with genuine concern and alarm. Their passion for sustainability is forcing companies to make changes and this is a good thing. Brands that don’t share their values or fail to demonstrate their same sense of urgency have no long-term future.
“Epson is fully committed to the SDGs. They are integrated into our mid and long-term plans; they are guiding us as a compass for our business and are setting the direction for all our sustainability actions. Our Green Choice report shows precisely and transparently how we are continuing to deliver on our commitment to a sustainable long-term future.
“We still have much more to do. Both as a business and as individuals, we need to show that we are committed, accountable and transparent. At Epson we are dedicated to ethical leadership and good governance through value-based strategies and positive actions for a sustainable business in a better world.”
Epson is a global technology leader dedicated to becoming indispensable to society by connecting people, things and information with its original efficient, compact and precision technologies. The company is focused on driving innovations and exceeding customer expectations in inkjet, visual communications, wearables and robotics. Epson is proud of its contributions to realizing a sustainable society and its ongoing efforts to realizing the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the worldwide Epson Group generates annual sales of more than JPY 1 trillion.
About Epson Middle East:
Epson Middle East oversees Epson’s operations in the Middle East markets, in close coordination with Epson Europe. Headquartered in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Epson Middle East works closely with a network of resellers and distributors across Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Qatar, Syria and Yemen, ensuring the availability of its wide, technologically-advanced product range to businesses and consumers in the region. www.epson-middleeast.com.
 Based on Epson calculations, in printing 100,000 pages EcoTank Mono requires the disposal of 85% less plastic-based consumable material on average than competing mono laser A4 devices 1-20ppm.