If you are planning a trip outside your country, here are few simple tips that will help you stay healthy and enjoy your vacation:
- Avoid raw meats and tap water. Choose, instead, hot or packaged foods and bottled water since food or water contaminated with bacteria can cause traveler’s diarrhea, also known as turista.
- Use insect repellent as bugs (including mosquitoes, ticks, and some flies) can spread a number of diseases.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand sanitizer.
- Don’t forget to pack with you a first aid kit.
- Use sunscreen and wear appropriate clothing for hot or cold weather.
- Don’t touch animals, especially monkeys, dogs, and birds.
Combat Common Travel Troubles
- Jet lag may cause some symptoms including upset stomach, insomnia, and tiredness. To combat jet lag, after you reach your destination, make sure to open a window or go outside during daytime to expose yourself to sunlight. This will help you adjust to the new time zone. Caffeine consumption can interfere with your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid caffeine while you are on the airplane.
- Traveler’s thrombosis due to prolonged sitting in a cramped position, dehydration, and moderate hypoxia (in case of air travel). It is recommended to wear loose, comfortable clothes, walk around whenever you can, and drink plenty of water.
- Altitude sickness may cause headaches, dehydration, and shortness of breath. The best prevention for altitude sickness, especially if you are heading for a high-altitude destination, is to gradually increase your altitude every day to get used to it or consult your doctor for possible available medicine.