Everyone experiences stress. However, when it is affecting your life, health and wellbeing, it is important to tackle it as soon as possible, and while stress affects everyone differently, there are common signs and symptoms you can look out for. These include but not limited to:
- Memory problems
- Inability to concentrate
- Self-doubt and low self-esteem
- Depression, sadness, anxiety, and irritability
- Rapid heartbeat
- Aches and pains
Tips to reduce stress:
- Avoid smoking and drinking caffeinated beverages as nicotine and caffeine are stimulants that will increase stress levels.
- Eat healthy food. Don’t forget to eat breakfast as this will keep your metabolism active and stabilize your blood sugar levels.
- Get moving to combat stress. Try to add physical activity to your daily routine, and go for a brisk walk when feeling stressed.
- Get enough sleep and if stress is interrupting your sleep, try to take a warm bath or read a calming book before sleep.
- Talk to a friend about what is stressing you as this will help you put things into perspective.
- Try some relaxation techniques such as yoga.
- Manage your “to do” list and start prioritizing your tasks.