The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has led people to engage in social distancing as a critical way to contain the spread of the illness. However, spending time in quarantine may be stressful for people. Coping with stress and helping your loved ones manage their anxiety will make you and the people around you stronger. Here are some helpful tips:
- Take time to unwind and do activities you enjoy rather than spending all the time watching news and reading about the pandemic.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle and focus on practicing simple exercises such as stretching, meditating, etc. Also eat healthy and balanced meals.
- Express your feelings to others and connect with your family and friends by phone and other online communication channels.
- If you are working from home, set a to-do-list for your daily tasks so you can manage your workload efficiently and avoid any additional stress.
Below are some tips to support your children and help them cope with anxiety and stress during coronavirus pandemic:
- Tell your children about COVID-19 and make sure that your explanation is appropriate to their age so they understand what’s going on around them.
- Help them stay connected with their friends and relatives through different online communication channels.
- Play with them games, puzzles, read a story, etc.
- Keep them active for instance use online videos to dance, do yoga or workout.
- Try to keep up their routine i.e. the time they wake up in the morning and sleep in the evening, getting dressed, doing school work.
- Avoid watching or listening to anything that might be upsetting when your children are present.
- Try to remain calm around them and talk to them about their feelings to help ease their concerns.
- Reassure them that they are safe and help them choose activities which are pleasant and help them improve their mood such as reading happy stories, watching funny movies, playing hide and seek…etc..