Orthodontic treatment is used to straighten crowded or crooked teeth in order to improve the appearance of the teeth and the overall oral function. Orthodontic ‘appliances’ are commonly known as ‘braces’ and apply force onto the teeth to achieve tooth movement for straightening (or alignment).
Orthodontic treatment options vary based on age, teeth condition, jaws, development, etc. Accordingly, any of the following or combinations may be needed:
- Fixed braces
Fixed braces are the most popular types of braces which are fixed on to teeth and adjusted frequently at fixed intervals. Treatment usually starts from 12 years and upwards and can last for 1-2 years.
- Clear removable aligners
This new method is used to correct mild-moderate teeth problems. They are a series of thin transparent flexible plastic mouth guards, which help to move the teeth to treatment plan.
- Removable appliances
Removable appliances (braces) are used to correct simple teeth issues, especially in young patients who still have baby teeth.
- Habit breakers
These are special braces for correction of harmful oral habits like thumb sucking habit in children, mouth breathing, teeth grinding, etc. usually used for kids above 5 years to prevent any future orthodontic problems.
- Orthognathic surgery
Orthognathic surgery is a combined orthodontic and surgical treatment to correct major jaw and dental abnormalities. This is done along with the use of braces to get the best results.
- An orthodontist can help evaluate the best options.
- Follow the orthodontist instructions and don’t miss follow up appointments in order to get the best results.
- Your dentist can advise on special cleaning brushes or methods to maintain good hygiene.
- Once results are achieved, your dentist will give retainers in order to make your teeth stable in the new position. If not worn properly, your teeth can become crooked again.
- How can orthodontic treatment help?, Medical News Today (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/249482.php)
- The 8 dos and don’ts of getting a Hollywood smile, Expert Health & Beauty
- Tooth Whitening/Bleaching: Treatment Considerations for Dentists and Their Patients, American Dental Association
- Orthodontic treatment, dentalhealth.org