16 May 2018: British Airways is adding some extra sparkle to customers’ journeys ahead of His Royal Highness Prince Harry’s marriage to Meghan Markle.
To celebrate the Royal wedding, the BA93 on May 19 to Toronto – the city where their relationship took off – will be operated by an all-star crew of only Meghan and Harry’s.
The 10-strong cabin crew, made up of two Harry’s, seven Megan’s and one Meghan, will operate the flight that departs Heathrow at 1.10pm, an hour after the couple say ‘I Do’ at Windsor Castle, just seven miles from the airport. Senior First Officer, Harry Blake, will be behind the controls of the flight deck, alongside the Captain.
To celebrate the Royal couple, any customer departing from Terminal 5 on the big day, who is called Harry, Meghan or Megan and their travel companions, will be invited to use the airline’s First lounge, accessed through the exclusive First Wing.
The celebrations won’t stop there as individual lemon and elderflower Victoria sponges, the same flavour as Harry and Meghan’s wedding cake, will be given out to customers departing from Heathrow on May 19. Additionally, on the Toronto celebration flight, the ‘Royal Crew’ will give every customer on board their individual celebratory wedding cake.
Carolina Martinoli, British Airways’ Director of Brand and Customer Experience, said: “We are so thrilled for Prince Harry and Meghan so wanted to bring some added sparkle and make our customers’ journeys fit for a Prince or Princess to celebrate this incredibly special day.”
Megan Horsley, British Airways Customer Service Manager, who will lead the namesake crew, said: “Harry and Meghan’s relationship started across the Atlantic so it seemed fitting for all of us to take-off to Toronto on their special day. I’ve flown with another Megan once or twice before, but never seven so we might have to all call each other by our surnames during this very special flight!”
Throughout May, customers on long-haul flights will be able to watch episodes of the Toronto-shot TV series Suits, enjoy documentaries and podcasts about how Harry and Megan met and the history of Windsor Castle. Travellers who miss the event on television will be able to catch up on board, as the wedding highlights will be available on long-haul flights the following day.
British Airways operates two daily flights out of London Heathrow to Toronto. For information on bookings and rates, customers can visit ba.com. Additionally, customers can choose to cut the cost of their flights by using Avios part payment. They are able to pick from a range of savings by destination and cabin while still collecting Avios and Tier Points on their bookings.
British Airways is rolling out a £4.5 billion, five-year customer investment plan, with a focus on excellence in the premium cabins and more choice and quality for all its customers.
Prince Harry and Meghan: Truly, Madly, Deeply (Documentary) will be available on IFE systems
At Her Majesties Service: Episode 1 Windsor and Suits will be available on aircraft with Thales and Panasonic IFE systems.
About British Airways:
In 2018, British Airways completed 85 years of successful operations to the Middle East. Today the carrier operates multiple daily flights from the region to London Heathrow offering customers excellent onward connections to over 200 destinations.
- Four hundred million pounds will be spent on Club World with an emphasis on improved catering and sleep, and a new seat in the future. At Heathrow a First Wing check-in area with direct security and lounge access has launched, and lounges around the airline’s network are to be revamped and improved. The Club Europe cabin has also been introduced on UK domestic services and all customers can look forward to the latest generation Wi-Fi across British Airways’ long-haul and short-haul fleets over the next two years.
- British Airways flies to more than 200 destinations around the world.
- BA Holidays offer an extensive range of carefully-selected hotels, car hire and travel experiences that are available to book with flights in a wide range of worldwide destinations from ba.com/holidays.
- The airline is one of the world’s largest international airlines, carrying approximately 40 million passengers around the world every year.
- The airline offers a choice of four cabins on the majority of its long-haul services.
- The airline is investing in new aircraft, new cabins, new technology and new routes.
- British Airways operates the majority of its flights from Terminal 5, its home at London Heathrow. This terminal is capable of handling 30 million customers a year and is the size of 50 football pitches.
- British Airways’ home Terminal 5 has been recognised as the world’s best terminal for the fourth consecutive year in the Skytrax awards.
- British Airways has won the Consumer Superbrand for the fourth time in a row, and the Business Superbrand for the third year in a row. This is the first time any company has ever won the double consecutively.
- British Airways’ parent company is International Airlines Group, which also owns Aer Lingus, Iberia and Vueling, and has just launched a low cost carrier from Spain called LEVEL.